Sunday 16 October 2016

What if you couldn't ride ?

A strange thing to ponder perhaps but what would you do if you couldn't ride ?  This somewhat maudlin line of thinking has been brought on by a couple of unconnected events over recent months that have given me cause to consider this rather unpleasant prospect.

The first was when a man I have great respect for announced that he was selling his beloved cruiser because a few incidents had dented his confidence.  Now I can understand where he's coming from given his misfortunes on motorcycles leading to the loss of a leg as a result of an accident.  Since then, despite numerous set-backs including suffering from PTSD, he has achieved so much.  Getting back on anything resembling a motorcycle was a remarkable achievement, progressing from a trike to two wheels was nothing short of miraculous and worthy of great respect and admiration.  However, a couple of incidents with motorists, not of his making, have had a profound affect on his outlook leading to his giving up on motorcycling.  There's no criticism implied or otherwise just a sad reflection on the outcome of unfortunate events that have led to a treasured friend giving up a much loved activity.

Then there's myself.  For a few years now I have had the dubious pleasure of suffering from gout.  This came about following much surgery as a result of injuries sustained in non-biking activities.  Through careful doctor guided experimentation I now have a regimen that has meant I haven't suffered an attack for a while now. But then the weather changed rather rapidly.  In case you don't know gout is a form of arthritis and is usually brought on by an excess of purines in the diet.  However, it is arthritis and in my case I have noticed that rapid changes in barometric pressure can also trigger great miscomfort...and that's where I find myself today and why I am pondering this uncomfortable question.

So what would you do if you couldn't ride.  I'm at a loss for an answer, I really don't know, but I do know that something I hold very dear and enjoy beyond words would be missing from my life. There would be a huge void that would need to be filled by something, but what ?

No comments: